Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thanks, Harold:

Thanks, Mr. Camping!

I mean that on several levels:
Sarcastically - Those who don't make appropriate distinctions lump those of us who believe the Lord will return with guys like Camping who claim to know when. I don't mind taking lumps for what I really believe. I'd just as soon not have to answer for his ilk.
Theologically and hermeneutically - Camping's false, unfounded, foolish, and sinful, predictions caused a lot of questions to be asked. Many have a sharper sword than they had a week ago.
Sincerely - As one who claims to speak for God, I frequently remind myself that God once used a donkey as His voice. I actually saw some good results in some lives that came from this false-prophet's announcement. "Shall we continue to sin that grace may abound?" You look up the Apostle's answer to that one. (Romans 6:1-2. Here is a hint: You can spell the answer with two letters, beginning with "n" and ending with "o.") Still I can rejoice that God sometimes uses donkeys, and false-prophets to motivate people to right action.
I spent a lazy couple of hours, this morning, intermittently watching the news on TV. For nearly a hundred folk in Missouri the end did not come in an apocalypse May 21, but by a tornado May 23. I believe the Lord will return, but considering the flow of history, most of us will have that meeting of with our Maker not as a result of Him making a house-call. The likelihood is we will be summoned by the grim reaper to appear before the Lord of all. ". . . it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment." (Hebrews 9:27)

Old advice to preachers goes, "Be ready to preach, pray, or die at any time." I'd say two-thirds of that advice applies to us all.



It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment