Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Thankful for giblet gravy:


A couple of years ago I sent out an email:  "When you think of Thanksgiving, what picture comes to mind?"   One fellow answered, "Mom's turkey giblet gravy over mashed potatoes."  Giblet gravy is one of those foods that brings strong responses.  Some think that
all--I emphasize "ALL" the stuff that comes from the inside of a turkey ought to be thrown out.  Others are like my friend--pour it on!  
What hit me, though, when I read the old email was my friends next line.  "It only comes around once a year."  It is fine to have a special food that is only put on the table  once a year.  I suspect that most of our Thanksgiving tables will contain at least one such specialty.  My concern is, for many, not only does Thanksgiving come but once a year, but the giving of thanks is an annual formality.    I have been present at Thanksgiving tables where there was an awkward pause before the bounty started making its way round the table.  It was clear no one knew what to do.  If one distills the paralyzing angst the essence is:
 
I know I should give thanks,
but I don't really know how.
It seems hypocritical to offer thanks
on this day, when the rest of my days, pass 
without gratitude.
 
I'm glad to say my friend is a man of gratitude.  The level of thanksgiving in his life challenges and inspires me.  I feel confident he would join me in saying, "Don't wait for Thanksgiving to offer thanks.  Start now.  Then when you sit down at the table--whether it contains giblet gravy or not--you will be in practice.
 
BTW,
I invite you to join us Sunday, 11/17, as we give thanks for God's "indescribable gift."
 
It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment