Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I hate the internet. If I didn't love it so much I'd get rid of it.


For an old guy, I'm reasonably well plugged in electronically.  I do a lot of communication via email, I scan and post on Facebook, blog, and help maintain a modest website.  These STTA communiques are an example of how I use the "net."  I say that to make the point that I'm not a Luddite when it comes to the cyber-world.  It is a useful tool.  I hope to continue to make good use of it and learn to take better advantage of the access it affords me.

Sometimes, however, I hate the internet.

It is a medium that allows the most ignorant among us to speak with as much volume as the most knowledgeable.  

Its anonymity encourages us to say things--cruel things--that we would never say if we were looking at a flesh and blood human.
In almost any discussion there is "that person."  You know the one who says outrageous things.  The one who makes it very clear that they are entitled to their own opinion, and often strongly makes that opinion known by an assembly of their own facts.  Usually, when I am "that person" in a real discussion, one of my friends will reel me in, and calm me down.  I'm thankful that my wife has developed a look that tells me when it is time for me to be quiet.  I am writing this and I'll send it to thousands of you--OK my mailing list is only about 200--with just a couple of keystrokes.  No one is looking over my shoulder. 

Combining the Internet's reach with our innate desire to win often produces a toxic situation.  "I know I don't really have anything to do with this situation, and I don't know anyone involved, but this discussion involves something about which I feel strongly, so I'm going to put in my two cents." and change.  We use harsh words and hyperbole to make our absolutely right and totally righteous point, forgetting that somewhere on the other side  of a cellphone, or a computer screen is a real person, with real blood in their veins, shedding real tears over the situation that for us is just a worldwide game of "Gotcha."  

Yeah, I got-'em all right!
An important lesson to learn is that sometimes one needs to realize that he doesn't know enough, can't know enough, and shouldn't know enough to get involved. Sometimes an unfortunate conflict between people is just a disagreement that never should have happened, and which ought to be worked out, lovingly, patiently, charitably, and with appropriate repentance and forgiveness.  It is not a wagon on which I can pile all my baggage to make my point. 
Before I post, I need to ask myself, "Should I just leave this alone?"

It's Something to Think About.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment