Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Saying What I Mean:

Jesus and His half-brother James both spoke of saying "Yes," and meaning yes, and saying "No." and meaning no (Matthew 5:37 &James 5:12).  I was just listening to the news.  A great deal of what fills such broadcasts would be eliminated if more of our leaders followed this admonition.  Much of political reporting and commentary consists of, "This is what I said, but this is what I meant." or, "It is important to hear what ____ didn't say."  
It would be easy at this point to descend into a rant about politicians and their ways, but, since neither I nor most of my readers are running for office, that would just give us an opportunity to pat ourselves on the back for being better than them.  Rather I need to ask myself about my reputation in regard to the truth.  My devotion to truth-telling ought to be such that, without a handbook for decoding purposely dense language or the need to reinforce my statement with oaths, I would be believed.  People who hear me say, "Yes." ought to be able to conclude that I mean yes, and likewise with my "No."
In case this idea catches on among the political-types, I suggest filling the dead air with some good news stories.


It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment