Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Wind & Growing Stronger:

Something
To Think About
Bucking the wind:


For the last two days I’ve ridden my bike to work, here in my new home.  It’s not too far, I’d say a mile and a half, though this morning I tacked on an extra mile so I could intersect with Kathy on her morning walk.  About half a mile from my apartment there is a bridge that I cross, connecting the Islands of Koror and Malakal.  Every time I’ve crossed it, going toward Koror, on foot or riding a bike, I’ve noticed that there is a stiff headwind that pushes against me at that point.  Downshift.  Pedal faster and harder.
At breakfast this morning I read an essay by the High School Senior Student of the Universe, 2016.  Well, that’s the opinion of her grandmother and me.  Carrington was named the student of the year at Sterlington, Louisiana, High School.  She’ll graduate from SHS in a few months.  She is being considered for the honor of student of the year in her Parrish (that’s Louisiana talk for county).  Her essay is part of what is involved in being considered for this recognition.  I read Carrington’s words aloud so her grandmother could hear them.  Hearing, as well as seeing, her words gave them even greater impact on my heart.  Carrington spoke of times when she had to pass from one place in her life to another.  Some of those transitions were not pleasant, and they involved bridges that weren’t all that secure.  A few minutes later as I felt the ocean gale blowing in my face, I thought of the stiff winds she had faced at critical times in her life.
Carrington’s not a biker, soccer and running are her sports, but she’ll know what I mean when I say that she chose to downshift and pedal harder.
It makes us stronger.
With inspiration from a lovely young lady, It’s Something To Think About.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment