Thursday, September 28, 2017

It's none of your business.











Not, "Why Me?"

But,

"What do You

want me to do,

Lord?"

One of the privileges I have, that goes along with hanging out at Pacific Islands University, is I get to go to Chapel every Tuesdayand Friday. Recently a colleague shared about Moses encounter with the Lord at the burning bush.
In order for you to get the full impact of Iotaka's words, I need to tell you a bit about him. Iotaka is Chuukese. His is a culture that is far different than my individualistic American way of life. Chuukese look out for one another, they share. Their lives tend to be much more intertwined with family--and everyone is family--than we in America are. Also, Iotaka is not only a gentleman, he is a gentle man. By that I don't, at all, mean that he is weak. Rather he exhibits the meekness that is the fruit of the Spirit.

Iotaka posed the question, "Why did God call Moses and not Aaron for the task of delivering the people of Israel." After giving time for the question to sink in and germinate, Iotaka pronounced in a forceful voice, "It's none of my business." And, indeed it isn't.
Most days I ask a question similar to the one my friend posed. My question generally begins with, "Why." and it's not a request for an explanation as much as it is the lodging of a complaint. It's like the adolescent whine of "It's not faaaiirr!" And, indeed, often times it isn't equitable, at least by the standard that I would use. I wear a number of hats, teacher, preacher, administrator, P.R. guy, counselor, but nowhere in my collection of head-gear is one labeled, "Chief Auditor of Cosmic Equity." That job is taken.
I have scrapes, bruises, and sore muscles from wrestling that one to the ground. There is only one I AM THAT I AM in the universe. Sometimes, in His grace, He tells me why, but not always.

Other times, It's none of my business

 
““The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
that we may observe all the words of this law.”
(Deuteronomy 29:29, NASB95)
 
It's STTA.

(Since I'm living in Micronesia, I'll adopt a more Micronesian, communal, spirit for a moment. We just released a fundraising campaign, with the goal of expanding the base of support at PIU. If you would like to find out whether it is your business to be involved, watch this video and/or read this blog post. Thanks) 

No comments:

Post a Comment