Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Going Home, or Leaving?











Heading the other

direction is odd.

In the morning I leave where I've been staying for the past nine months and head home for a brief visit. Only, I'm not sure that's what I am doing. Could it be I'm leaving home to go back to the place where I used to live?
Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking for sympathy. Other than the fact that I'll be sitting in airplane seats way too long, and I'll be away from Kathy for three weeks, I don't find what I'm doing distasteful at all. It's just odd. If you came in late, I'll point you to a brief word of explanation. I'm a retired pastor, lived all my adult life in the same place, and in our "retirement," Kathy and I took a temporary assignment 8,000 miles from home. You can find out more here. We have been here in our comfortable little apartment long enough that it doesn't feel temporary. It kinda' feels like home.
I'm headed back to the U. S. mainland because of business. It used to be when I'd go away on business that I'd pack enough stuff to last until I got back home. This evening I packed a supply of stuff to last while I'm visiting home.
Some of the old Gospel songs talk about this kind of dissonance in a far more profound way.

 
"This world is not my home. I'm just a passin' through."

"I've got a mansion . . .
in that bright land where we'll never grow old."

"Swing low, sweet chariot, comin' for to carry me home."

 
The Psalm writer spoke of that not-at-home-ness when he said,Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:25–26)
In the New Testament, the Apostle Paul spoke of his desire to be "present with the Lord" (Philippians 1:23), yet he knew there was yet work to be done (24).
What I am experiencing as I get ready go away from home and back home at the same time is something like the way God's people should always live. I'm where I am for reason, but this isn't my final address.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment