Monday, February 12, 2018


It's snowing

somewhere,

but not here.

Everybody out here in the Pacific knows what snow is. It's like you who are back in our home knowing what the tropics are like, or either of us knowing about a desert. Though my neighbors here understand snow, it's never been seen in these parts. Sometimes I'm struck with the oddity of seeing pictures of my Virginia home covered with ice and snow, while Kathy and I are trying to decide whether to turn the AC on or get by for a while with the windows open. A friend from upstate New York commented on the oddity in reverse. They are covered in white and dealing with low temperatures. She watched a video that one of our colleagues posted. She couldn't help but notice that most of the folk in the video were wearing flip-flops.
While we greatly enjoy the ease with which we can communicate around the world, there is an unavoidable dissonance. When I call someone back in the mainland, do I say "Good morning," because it is morning, here, or "Good evening," because it is yesterday evening there? It's no big deal. I'm just glad to be able to talk to a friend or loved one.
Let me indulge in a moment of speculation. l don't think there will be time zones in heaven. There will be no need to the sun for light. The presence of the Lord will light the heavenly city. Since He is omnipresent, I figure there won't be any time zones. Like I say, it's just speculation, but it is going to be good.


It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment