Monday, June 11, 2018

A Grandpa Moment


HERITAGE:


 
For most of the year, Kathy and I live on the other side of the world. We enjoy it, but we also enjoy the opportunities we have to visit here in the mainland USA. I don't want to offend the rest of you, but at the top of the list of why we enjoy visiting here are Christopher, Carrington, Madeline, Kendal, Silas, Kira, and Ava--our grandchildren. On this trip, we have been able to see all of them, except Carrington. She was busy at college finishing up projects and studying for finals. Like all of our grandchildren, we are proud of her.
 
I recently had a conversation with a Godly gentleman who has been getting a senior-discount for a while. Neither of us is done, but both of us recognize that our time to make a difference is limited. One way of maximizing that is to invest in those who still have a long time to be involved in active service. People ask me, "Are you retired?" I guess technically I am. I draw Social Security, the church where I was privileged serve as pastor for 40+ years gave me the "emeritus" title, I've been excused from any expectation that I'll participate in any athletic endeavors at PIU, and I'm comfortable with the old-guy personae. Yet, I'm probably busier than I have been in years. Clearly the focus of my activity, though, is not on what I can do; it is on working with others--equipping them to do good work long after I can't do anything.

It is quite likely that my youngest grandchild will live into the 22nd Century. All of them will be making a difference in the world long after I'm gone. While grandchildren aren't the only heritage we leave behind they do powerfully illustrate the concept. What will remain?

Heritage, it's not only a topic for we gray-heads. Even you youngsters ought to ask yourselves, "What will I leave behind?"

It's Something to Think About.


PS: The picture, above, is of the 2018 commencement exercises at Pacific Islands University, where Kathy and I are privileged to serve. Find out more about PIU, and this part of the heritage we hope to leave in the current edition of
Live Ready, a publication of Liebenzell Misssion, USA. Click on the link above or on the picture to the left, to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment