Friday, July 20, 2018

Something left when you're done


Heritage:

This morning was Friday morning on the side of the world where I live now. It's fourteen hours in the future compared to my home in Virginia. At eight this morning I was beginning a class that I teach at Pacific Islands University. We typically start our classes with prayer. So as we went to the Lord in prayer on Fridaymorning it was six in the evening, back in Virginia. Thursday at 6:00 PM my home church and several other congregations were beginning the last night of a big event for teenagers, TEENWEEK. My class was praying for TEENWEEK.
More than three decades ago, Covington Bible Church started TEENWEEK. I was privileged to be instrumental in its beginning and continuation. 


Some of the Teens and leaders at TEENWEEK '18
 
As the class and I prayed this morning, what was going on in Virginia seemed very distant. I guess that is because it is very distant, both in miles and minutes. I don't want to give the idea that I think that doing games in a mud-pit, having a half-court basketball tournament, or serving up fifty pizzas at a time is essential to the cause of Christ. It isn't, and I know that. TEENWEEK, however, is a tool that has been used by God's people and blessed by God. I feel a bit like someone who is attending his own funeral. Normally, we think about heritage as something that goes beyond a person's life. I'm privileged to be alive and see something that by God's grace I was privileged to be involved in, that still goes on. Some of the leaders in the picture above are children the teens I was privileged to work with years ago. They are doing TEENWEEK and, more importantly, taking leadership in reaching a new generation.

Thank You, Lord.
My advice to you is,
Go do something that lasts.

It's Something To Think About.

To see more about TEENWEEK '18, scroll through the posts at the Covington Bible Church Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment