Thursday, August 12, 2010

For Whom The Bell Tolls:

One of the problems with our wired world is that we get so much news that it is impossible to deal sufficiently, or responsibly with all that comes our way. We become jaded. I look at a news story of some tragedy, and take note of how many were killed or hurt; seldom does the fact that these are real people, related to other real folk, sink in.

My insulation has been recently punctured, however, in regard to two incidents.


I found out that one of those who died while trying to help the Afghans was the son of a man who had once sung in my church. Likely the young man was in the service as his father, a member of a quartet with a man who grew up at Covington Bible.
The gentleman, who was active in a number of ways in sharing the Good News in Zambia, was the member of a church where some folk who used to be members of CBC are now worshipping.


I'm trying to remind myself that every time I hear that somebody died, or was kidnapped, or wounded, that they are SOMEBODY. I know there has to be some proportion here. If I grieve for every death as I would grieve for the loss of my son, the rest of my life would have to shut down. Still I need the reminder. Here are a couple of ideas for trying to maintain balance:



  • I ought to never watch or read news just for the thrill. If I'm not careful what I call "being informed" might be little different than Romans watching others die for amusement. My focus ought to be news that matters to me. Is there something I should do? If not, my interest might be morbid.

  • A friend of mine regularly prays for those impacted by the world's tragedies. I know I will never measure up to my friend's level of compassion, but taking a moment to pray reminds me that this is SOMEBODY.

I look forward to hearing from you. For both of us it's STTA.



No comments:

Post a Comment