Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Not at home.

I hope you are warm and secure in your home. When it is cold outside, it sure makes the warm inside easier to appreciate. As I type I'm sitting next to the fire on a comfortable couch. I need to be reminded, though, in the words of the old hymn, "This world is not my home."
I hear that some of our new members of congress are living out that concept. Since arriving at DC they have been sleeping on cots or blow-up beds in their office building.
Is it a publicity stunt? Likely, at least in part, but at least it is publicizing a concept worth remembering. Several of our representatives who are sleeping like teens at a sleep-over pointed out that they want to be reminded, and remind others that they don't live in Washington. They are there to serve their constituents back home.

The Apostle Paul said that our citizenship is in heaven. (Philippians 3:20) He counselled Timothy to not become entangled in the affairs of this world. (2 Timothy 2) Interestingly, it is those who are least at home in this world--those who realize that there is something more--who do the most good in it.

When you read/hear news stories like the one below, view them with a bit of appropriate cynicism, but, if you know the Lord, be reminded, "I'm not home either.
It's STTA.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/22/eveningnews/main7272636.shtml

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Rev. Merrell,
    I have been reminding myself a lot lately that this world is not my home! I am a citizen of Heaven just passing through! :)

    ReplyDelete