Friday, August 26, 2011

Unshaken and not Stirred



Here in Covington some felt it and others didn't.  Some of us thought it was something else.  When I felt the earthquake I was in a restaurant near a highway project.  I assumed there was some blasting going on.  In typical small world fashion, I found out it really was an earthquake via Louisiana--a phone-call from my son.    
I feel like this is a warm-up for a Rodney Dangerfield routine, but one Californian commented that his cellphone set on vibrate registered higher on the Richter Scale.  At first, based on my mostly unshaken and not stirred experience, I was ready to agree with the Left Coaster.  Then reports of actual damage started coming in.  The Washington Monument may be damaged.  I heard of at least one school that is closed.  At least one wedding was disrupted.  Numerous buildings were damaged.  It's nothing like what happened in Japan, but, for many, not insignificant, either.
For those who are dealing with damaged property, the earthquake clearly had a negative impact.  Where the damage was to public buildings whole communities are impacted.  Just because the quake didn't really move me, doesn't mean it was insignificant.
On the other hand, the Mid-Atlantic 2011 Quake does not merit any name that ends in "geddon."  Based on the promises in the Word of God I am confident Jesus is coming again.  I was sure of that on Monday.  I'm no more or less sure today.
Any time God taps us on the shoulder and says, "See what I can do."  we ought to pay attention.  

No comments:

Post a Comment