Friday, September 23, 2011

Downs and Ups:


The conventional wisdom is that though the stock market may go down, it will come back up--eventually.  I heard that most folk who just left their money in stocks through the Great-Depression actually made money.  I'm in my Sixties.  My retirement funds, like many of yours, are in "funds" i.e. stocks.  I'm wondering if I'll live long enough to see the upturn.  With the Greeks threatening to have a "Going out of Business Sale" and pay creditors fifty-cents on the dollar, I heard that even gold was down this morning.  Since I don't personally have any gold to sell it really doesn't affect my fortune--or lack thereof--but it is another downer.  
Maybe it's just complacency, but I figure I can't really do anything about it, so I don't pay much attention.  I talked to a really sharp guy, recently, someone who was paying attention to markets and such.  Through shrewd investment he was able to grow a few hundred-thousand dollar nest-egg into something like nine hundred dollars and change.  That's right, less than $1K.  So, I'm hangin' on hopin' this rickitey roller-coaster bottoms out soon.
Something I do spend a good bit of time looking into--not near enough, but a lot.  Is God's grace.  It is up.  The prospects are great.  
I just read & reread, & read again, this about the Apostle Paul.  ". . . when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased [He]. . . reveal[ed] His Son in me."  (Galatians 1:15-16) 
I only claim kinship with the great Apostle in that both of us owe our eternal prospects to the same resource--God's grace.  God's grace is never in default, shortage, recession--single, double, or triple dip--or depression.  It is neither inflated, quantitatively eased, not deflated.  It's abundant supply in described by another commodity that is prolific, ". . . where sin increased, grace abounded all the more."  (Romans 5:20). 
As an old hymn puts it, "Grace that is greater than all my sin."



No comments:

Post a Comment