Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thoughts on 9/11 #4, Irony and Heritage

Living most of my life in a small town I've grown accustomed to seeing relatives take opposite sides of issues, or when events impact people in the same family in very different ways. It is strange to me, however, when it takes place on a global level.




Not long ago Saudi Arabian Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal announced that his Kingdom Holding Company will build a kilometer-high sky-scraper on Jeddah Saudi Arabia. The building designed by a Chicago archetectural firm will be, by far, the tallest building in the world.



What I find ironic, is the construction of the mammoth edifice will be undertaken by the Bin Laden group.

Yes, the very same family that provided us with Osama, who was intrumental in destroying two of the world's tallest structures. At the time of their completion the twin towers of the World Trade Center were the tallest buildings in the world. In defense of the Bin Laden family, and the company that bears their name. They disavowed any connection with their terrorist offspring in 1990. Still, I find the strangeness of it all quite deep.



I don't expect that the bin(s) (sons of) Howard Merrell Family will build the world's biggest anything. I do see great evidence that they will do that which is far more significant. My sons and their wives love and serve the Lord. While we can't be immediately sure about decisions that little people make, my youngest grandchild says she trust the Lord. My eldest grandchild just posted this on a social media site:

Tonight I'm left with this question: Being my last year of high school, what am I going to be remembered for? That I was a drummer? That I was "cool"? or even that I went to church alot? Will anyone be able say that I was the guy that wouldn't shut up about Jesus?



You can have that tallest building, and I'll throw in the biggest bank account to boot.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment