Tuesday, October 18, 2011


My wife and I have lived in two houses for our entire 39 years of marriage.  Our first nine months were spent in a trailer between Clarks Summit, where I was finishing college, and Tunkhannock, PA--our church was near there.  I know the more accepted term is "mobile home," or "manufactured housing," but ours was a trailer, with the odd quirks associated with that kind of house.  Since then our home, remodeled almost constantly, has been at 2106 S. Carpenter Drive.  You might think that for folk who have avoided the American urge to move and/or build bigger and better that simplicity would come easily.  You would be wrong.  
My part of the garage is a paradigm for the rest of my life.  If someone had charted the clutter in my "shop" over the years it would probably look like a perfect up and down oscillation.  Clutter, just plain dirt, and disorganization will increase until it gets to be too much.  Then a cleaning, putting away, creating organizational solutions, and just getting rid of stuff binge will begin.  After that there will be a steady state of "Doesn't this look nice?" and "Doesn't this make your shop a more inviting place to work?" that will last for a few days or maybe weeks, before, "I don't have time to clean up." will cause the curve to inch upward again.  
My wife's mottos are "Simplify," and "Eliminate and Concentrate."  As is true about almost everything, I'd be far better off if I listened to her more.  
My head and heart need cleaning as well.  There are times when the clutter--and in my head the clutter doesn't even stay still; it swirls around--gets so great that it prevents regular, more important activity from progressing.
This morning my grandson helped me out.  

"Christianity is one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread."  

What an uncluttering thought!
Sharp kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment