Friday, December 16, 2011

What if?

What if George Washington wasn't the first president of the United States?
Most of us believe that he was.  I've even been to Mount Vernon and seen his famous false teeth.  
But what if it is all a big conspiracy?  I mean it would be hard to come up with a more ideal Father of our Country.  Than the gentleman Northern Virginia.  What if it really is a hoax?  Somebody painted the portraits and wrote the diaries, even adding impressive folklore like the cherry tree and the dollar across the Delaware.

If I found out that George Washington wasn't the first president, I would be surprised, I'd instantly become ten pounds more skeptical, and I might even be a bit disappointed, but my Honda would still have a dead battery, my wife's car would still have an oil leak, I'd still have to pay my quarterly dues to the IRS, my grandkids would remain the most talented, best looking and smartest children in the world, and my knees would still be stiff.  In short little if anything would change.
  
On the other hand I totally identify with the Apostle Paul.  In1 Corinthians 15:14-19, he says, "If Christ has not been raised, then . . . we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied." 
That is the great difference between believing that George Washington was the first President, or merely believing that Jesus was the Son of God come to earth Who lived a perfect life, died on the cross, and came forth from the grave, and believing in Christ as my Savior.  In the latter case I am depending on this truth.  I am resting in it.

This Sunday is the final message in our John 3:16 series.  Have you put your trust in Christ's finished work in such a way that if it proves to be false you have no other hope?



No comments:

Post a Comment