Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Ending . . . therefore:

My age and the point I find myself in my career encourages thoughts about ending.  A couple of things that have come my way in the past few days have been a catalyst to these thoughts.  Together with several guys I've been interacting with Eric Metaxas's book 7 Men and the Secret of Their Greatness.   The last of the seven guys is the only one I ever actually met, Chuck Colson.  Not long after the former Nixon Aid got out of jail he came to Covington VA to promote his new ministry, Prison Fellowship.  Metaxas began the chapter about his friend, Chuck Colson, by talking about his funeral.  I'm considerably younger than Colson's eighty years.  Still, it got me thinking.
My co-pastor and I are working on a passage in 1 Peter 4 for this Sunday's message.  Ramping up to verses 10-11, I read this:  
"The end of all things is near; therefore. . . ."
Therefore what?
That's the question isn't it?
I doubt that my funeral will be attended by the famous and powerful, as was Colson's, but my life is being observed by the God of the Universe.  When that end has come what will have been accomplished in my life?
God reminds me that the end is near.  I need to fill in the "therefore."  God gives opportunities and resources.  What am I doing with them?

I encourage you to look at 1 Peter 4.  If you are able I invite to join us Sunday as we consider the passage.  Let's keep the "therefore" in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment