Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A Place to Study:

Something
To
Think About
A Place to Study:

(Bio-warning:  All STTAs are autobiographical, me being the "auto."  This one is more so.  So if you aren't interested in reading some thoughts from an old preacher, mostly about being an old preacher, then you might want to look up something else to read.)

I remember when, as a twenty three year old new pastor I first set up shop in the little, maybe eight by ten feet, room designated as the "Pastor's Study."  Over the next couple of years one of the guys in the church gave me an old desk, which we refinished.  Another helped me build some shelves.  A desk chair and maybe one more seat were obtained.  I can remember some of the significant discoveries, discussions, and  breakthroughs that took place in that little room.  I proudly--in the right sense, I hope--referred to that little space off the right end of the platform in our little building, as "my study."  About eight years into my time here at Covington Bible Church, we built a new building, still not big, but much less small than where we were.  I was very grateful that as folk worked on the drawings for out new facility they wanted to make sure that sufficient space was set aside for the Pastor's Study.  In the downstairs of our building all the floors were bare concrete when we moved in, all but my study, which was covered with carpet.  It had a lot of red in it.  It was my study.  The refinished desk was moved in.  A nice easy-chair was put in one corner.  Eventually some fish took up residence there.  Again, I was privileged to hang out in that room while significant events, matters of eternal import, took place. 
A few years ago I undertook a major remodeling project.  Most of the cherry lumber that was used for shelves and cabinetry was from trees my Father-in-law, the man who was my pastor in my youth, had cut down.  The old, now way outdated, carpet was replaced with laminate flooring, and the fish had a custom-made place for their little tropical world.  A bit later my wife helped me put together a one-of-a-kind table.  When I built the shelves, and laid the floor, I did the arithmetic, not just calculating length and width, but time.  I knew that I was building a space for someone who would come after me.  A little over six months ago, I packed up my books and stuff, and moved out.  Most of my things are still boxed up.  Thankfully, over the last decade or so, more and more of my "books" are digital.  What used to take up feet of shelf space now is stored on a hard drive I can hold in my hand.   Part of the time, now, I work from home.  When I'm at Covington Bible I work out of a very adequate space that doubles as a classroom.  I'm doing some work on the room.  I'd like to leave it better than I found it.
My where-I-sit-to-work migration isn't finished, though.  In preparation for thenext phase of ministry that Kathy and I are undertaking, I recently purchased a piece of luggage.  I confess it was the label Samsonite put on the piece that first caught my attention--"Mobile Office."
As I look back over the places where I have been privileged to sit down and study God's word, prepare lessons, and messages, and meet with people in need, I am very thankful.  What has taken place is far more important than where it took place.  In a short time I'll pack up again.  Since most of my stuff is still in boxes from the last move, it won't take long.  I'll pray for the next person--likely someone a lot like that dark-haired kid who moved into that little eight by ten room more than four decades ago.  I'll put my computer in my mobile office and we'll roll on.
A friend of mine would say, "It's all good."  And it is.  Beyond doubt,GOD IS GOOD.


It's STTA.


I was recently privileged to share a message at a sister church, where some friends of mine faithfully study and minister, one of them has been my colleague and friend for forty years.  I was there for a day this congregation had set aside to show their appreciation to their pastors.  I can almost guarantee that you have never heard a message preached from the passage I chose to use in honoring these men for their faithfulness.  If that piques your interest click here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment