Thursday, February 18, 2016

Well Done.

Something
To Think About
Charles Ryrie:

News came to me, yesterday about the death of Dr. Charles Ryrie.
I live and minister way downstream from the likes of Charles Ryrie.  I was not privileged to be in one of his classes, though a number of my friends were.  I heard him preach a time or two.  To be honest, I wasn’t all that impressed.  I don’t think preaching was his forte’.  On the other hand, I have been very blessed and helped by the books he wrote, and the legacy he left.  As I write, I’m looking across the room at one of his Theology texts.  His Balancing the Christian Life not only helped me maintain equilibrium, but as I taught its truths to others it helped them stay on track as well.  My alma mater, a school where I serve on the board, another where a friend is on staff, and I have no idea how many others have all been blessed by donations from his foundation.  Dr. Ryrie chose to write and minister in a way that reached down to people like me who, though not in the realm of academe, need folk who work in the upper stories to send some stuff down the chute to us.  On the first page of his Basic Theology he said, “Theology is for everyone. . . . every Christian should read theology.”
Thank you for giving us something to read; your legacy remains.
Dr. Ryrie was an unapologetic dispensationalist, in fact, he is one of the definers of the movement.  He maintained that view in a day when it isn’t cool.  I haven’t read about young, restless, and dispensationalbloggers.  Many disagree with his conclusions, about Israel, the church, and last things.  I’m still mostly on that side.  I disagreed with him about his views on divorce (I’m glad I was never asked to debate him, though.), and I pretty much landed on the other end of the unfortunate “Lordship Salvation” debate.  It always appeared clear to me, though, that Charles Ryrie had a trait about his scholarship and writing that we need a lot more of.  His writings, teaching, and the way he oversaw the investments from his foundation reflect this basic truth:
“. . . the entire Bible came from God to show us how to live. . . .
God used men and gave us a completely truthful Bible.”

What Charles Ryrie believed, taught, and wrote, came from what he believed to be the teaching of Scripture.
A few months ago a friend of mine had the privilege of sitting down and chatting with Dr. Ryrie.  They talked Theology.  I figure he’s doing a lot of that about now.



It’s STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment