Monday, May 16, 2016

You can come home again, but . . .

 

Something to Think About
Returning Home:

Thomas Wolfe famously said, "You can't go home again."  Actually you can, but you can't make it feel the same.  For the second time in my life I have returned home and found it somewhat weird--not bad, just different.
Nearly fifty years ago I returned home after being away at school for a couple of months.  Shortly after I entered the familiar surroundings of the house where I'd lived for most of my life, my Mom asked, what I wanted for supper.  As far as I could remember that had never happened before.  My home was an "eat what's put before you" kind of home.  When Mom asked my dining preference I knew things had changed.  I had the same feeling the other day.
Kathy and I had embarked on a new ministry venture.  We pulled in our driveway after being away for a bit over four months.  We began to settle into what is now the new normal.  It's not bad.  It is different.  And it's a bit of a challenge.  I suppose I'll have to wait a while before my verdict is credible, but I think it is good.
I'm changing all the time.  All I have to do to demonstrate that is get out some old pictures.  That guy with a full head of black hair is gone.  In his place is an older guy with wrinkles and a wisp of gray on his head.  If I don't look at the pictures, though, I don't notice the change.  It happens a bit at a time.  I constantly adjust to the incremental difference.  The fact is, though, everything in this world is constantly changing.  If you stay gone for a while and then come home you notice that.
Enough of my rambling.  The Lord's brother, James, and Jesus follower, Peter, both refer to Jesus words about the transitoriness of all things in this world.  These surroundings that seem so solid and lasting are really like delicate flowers.  They spring up, and flourish, but soon wither and die.  (See herehere, and here for the Biblical references.)  Don't try to keep things down here the same.  You'll only frustrate yourself.  Don't depend on that which is sure to fail you.  You are sure to suffer loss.  Make sure you invest in eternity.  


It’s STTA.

Read here to explore that which is eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment