Monday, June 27, 2016

Don't wait too late for a first.

 

Something to Think About
First Times:

As I stood at the registration counter, the very nice lady asked if this was the first time I had attended the convention.  I came to know the Lord in a church that was part of this fellowship.  Many men who were part of this group of churches were key in helping me over the years.  Actually the church I pastored for most of my life is a member church.  Yet my answer as a sixty-six year old retired pastor was, "Yes."
There are reasons why, I think some of them are at least kind of good reasons, nevertheless, I felt a twinge of regret as I gave the answer.  By God's grace I plan to be around for a while, but I am aware that the years I have left aren't as many as those I have spent--by a good margin.  So, since I have business to attend to, let me simply share two quick thoughts.

  1. When we put something off, we make an assumption--an assumption concerning something over which we have no control.  While I have no control over time, I do have experience in watching it fly by.  Often when I put something off until tomorrow I seriously underestimate how full tomorrow will be.  We have all had the experience of being up against a deadline and having more to do than we can get done.  Don't live in that mode.  Clearly we have a deadline, we just don't know when it is.  (Hebrews 9:27) 
  2. Choose wisely.  Once we pass an opportunity or spend a moment, it is gone.  (Ephesians 5:15-17)  
Don't assume that later will be soon enough for the first time.  Maybe not.

It’s STTA.

Read here to find out how to prepare for life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment