Monday, June 12, 2017

Maintaining the balance between expecting a miracle and walking in the mundane:

A LITTLE

AT A TIME

I appreciate taking giant leaps. I totally believe in the God of miracles. Even in the ordinary realm of getting from one place to another, as much as I dislike standing in line, being X-rayed, and asking myself a million times if I have my passport, I really like getting in a plane and getting out thousands of miles away a few hours later. Right now, my prayer list contains requests for a couple of things that fall in the shock and awe category. Yet, while I pray for, wait for, even expect--on my more faith-full days--the amazing, I need to not despise the mundane.
Again, "Blessed are the Balanced."I (OK, the point could be made that people who have enough sense to not stand on beach balls, especially if they weigh a couple of tons are truly blessed, but cut me some slack.)
I look at one of the times in Bible history that was weighted down with miracles, the months surrounding God's deliverance of his people from Egypt, yet in the midst of Divine plagues, paths through the sea, pillars of fire and bread from heaven there was the totally ordinary exercise of walking. How did the people of Israel get from Egypt to Canaan? On the one hand, the answer is, "It was through a series of miracles." In another way, though, it is entirely accurate to say, "They walked."
I'm working to balance on those two realities, and I'm not doing it with nearly as much grace as a large pachyderm doing a circus trick.
Here are some of the realities, as I see reality that I'm seeking to hold in the right tension. I can't turn loose of either end:

 
  • God expects me to do my very best today < > My best is insufficient.
  • God generally uses human instruments < > All those human instruments, including me are terribly inadequate.
  • The miraculous is not miraculous to God, and the mundane is full of God's hidden (to me) hand of providence.
  • I ought to be properly concerned, but I should not worry.
If you see me wobbling, you are seeing correctly. I identify with the man who proclaimed, "I do believe!" but before he drew another breath asked, "Help my unbelief" (Mark 9:24).
I don't know, but I figure some of you have the same struggles. It's not only something to think about; it's something to pray about. Let's work on it together.


It's STTA (Something To Think About). 

Here is a different presentation of the Good News in Christ.
You can find several ways to explore the Message of Grace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment