Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Working at TEAMWORK

TEAMWORK

TAKES WORK

But it's worth it

Lately my concept of working with, on, for, and through a team has been stretched. My collaborative skills needed expanding. I've never been anti-teamwork. It's just that:
  • I come from an individualistic culture.
  • Back in high school, while I enjoyed being on a team, the wrestling team is really a collection of individual achievers.
  • Most of my life was spent in a career when I was the only full-time worker at the church where I served.
In other words, I've had a lot more experience with go-it-alone, than I have with go-team.

Now, I find myself in a situation where a lot of what I need to get done is stuff that I can't do. I am surrounded by people both way more capable than I am, and yet people who need something I can contribute to make their work more effective. Sometimes it is collaboration; They bring A, I contribute B, and the resulting C is far bigger than either A or B. On other occasions I am a catalyst; very little of what I have done is seen in the final product, but something from me has made that end-result possible. I'm impressed with the power of cheering, or encouragement. I'd say I'm the recipient of more of that team-spirit than I give out. It's not as much fun--on either end--but challenge is a powerful part of working together. Others around me will get in my face. "I don't think that's right," or, "I don't think that's your best."
When you combine all of that with the fact that I'm surrounded by folk who live and breath a lifestyle much more community oriented than the one I'm familiar with, you can see why the concept of team is growing in me. I'd suggest that working as a team is a paradigm you should give more attention to. If you do think about it, it'll be the result of one more element of teamwork in action. Teammates help one another consider . . . .


It's STTA (Something To Think About). 

Here is a different presentation of the Good News in Christ. 

You can find several ways to explore the Message of Grace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment