Monday, July 24, 2017

I Can Walk. Where Am I Going?



I saw a man walking this morning with a gait I've seen hundreds of times. His slow, short steps, stooped posture and expressionless face reminded me of folk I'd seen in hospitals or nursing homes. Their doctor had just told them they could take a short walk. Usually pushing an IV pole, they would go a few yards down the hall and back. The combination of pain, stiffness, and concern not to do any harm eliminated any possibility of conversation. In those circumstances, it takes all of one's concentration to move one foot in front of the other and stay upright. This man wasn't in a hospital or a nursing home, though. He was at least a half a mile out on a walking route where my wife and I exercise, and he was going away from the starting line. Kathy and I walk fast. We are sort of proud of the record we have on that route--no walkerspass us--but that guy was way ahead of me.
If I had to guess, I'd say he was dealing with the aftermath of a stroke. What impresses me is He is dealing with it. Not the other way around. He seemed to list to one side a bit, but his determination kept him moving straight ahead. As I walked by the man I thought about what he is dealing with, and all that I'm not dealing with, and all that I'm blessed with, and I asked myself, 


"What am I doing with what I've got?"




It's STTA (Something To Think About). 

No comments:

Post a Comment