Thursday, November 23, 2017

Black Friday?

Black Friday?

Where I live, It's Friday morning. I celebrated Thanksgiving, yesterday, with a wonderful group of students, staff, alumni, and guests, here at Pacific Islands University.
Through the wonders of technology, I was able to be present at the table with my family on the US Mainland, just a few minutes ago, as they sat down for their Thanksgiving meal, at my elder son's home.
Being in two days at once, and a couple of things that came up on the internet this morning remind me of the value of time.
A friend used an old expression, that I heard many times from old-timers back in Virginia, "You're burning daylight." Generally, when I heard the statement, it came from an older man, addressed to some teens or young adults. The meaning/implication of the words is that this is no time to be goofing off. There are important things to be done. Then I read an email from a man about fifteen years my senior. He talked about others, in the generation before him, who had had an impact on his life. As I read his note I could feel the clicking of the cosmic clock throbbing in my bones.
Which brings me back to Friday. It's already Friday here, and it's just a couple of pieces of pie and a turkey sandwich away for many of you. Is it a black Friday? There is nothing wrong with seeking a bargain. In fact, in many ways, it is virtuous, but the materialism and greed that mark the day are another matter. Maybe your's will be a blue Friday. There is a tinge of that in my heart. It was good to see Kathy on the screen a few moments ago, but in other ways it only made me miss her more. I think of a friend who has been separated from his wife for nearly a year, and another couple spending this Thanksgiving in the cancer ward. While we are thankful, the reality is that this is a world filled with pain and difficulty. Just this morning a good plan that I had ended up in a crumpled heap. It's not a metaphor. The remains are in the trash. My broken plan is no big deal. It'll be remedied. For many, earth has no cure.
I look out the window, though, and I see a bright blue sky, with fluffy clouds floating along. I think it's a good day to plant some seeds. This Friday is neither black, nor a somber blue. It is bright with hope. The same God to Whom I gave thanks with my friends yesterday, and, via the internet, with my family today, is the God Who gives hope.


Romans 5:1–5
1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; 4 and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; 5 and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

In Christ, it's a Bright Friday.

It's STTA (Something To Think About)

No comments:

Post a Comment