Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thank God for Who He Is











Before we discuss the reason for the season,

what is the reason for your thanks?

I hope you have been thinking about something more than Something to Think About, because I haven't offered much grist for your thought-mill, lately.
Out here way past what most of you consider West, it's Thanksgiving. I can smell the turkey cooking. As soon as I finish this I'll join my friends at church for a Thanksgiving morning service.
I can truthfully say that I am thankful. I am challenged, though, by the unknown poet of Psalm 107, to ask myself, "Why?" Millions of people will recite today, "God is good, all the time," but I fear that most will not wrestle with the fact that God is good, even when He's not being good to me. Don't tune me out just yet, I haven't forgotten Romans 8:28. In this Psalm, though we read of hunger, thirst, wandering, sickness, imprisonment, storms, distress, and depression. Much of the language lays the cause of this at the feet of God.
Is God good?
The Psalm begins with this statement:


         Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good,
         For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

It is not a statement of "good to me," but of God's character.

As I give thanks today, will my gratitude be anchored in an appreciation of who God is?

It's STTA (Something To Think About)

No comments:

Post a Comment