Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Hanukkah

In John 10 we read,
At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place at Jerusalem; it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon" (John 10:22-23).

Obviously, there was no Christmas celebration, yet. So we can be sure that Jesus was not out, involved in that great American, winter exercise, looking at the Christmas lights. It is probable, however, that Jesus was viewing the lights. Could it be that this was reason for his stroll through Solomon's portico in the Temple complex? He was and is human. He would appreciate the artistry of well-placed lights, just like the rest of us. The Feast of Dedication is known by a couple of other names, one you are sure to recognize. Craig Keener comments on this feast, "[T]he eight-day celebration of lights in the temple was beautiful." In fact it is sometimes called the Festival of Lights. Most of us know it as 
Hanukkah, the celebration that Jews are celebrating as I write. 
(Keener, C. S. (1993). The IVP Bible background commentary: New Testament (Jn 10:22). Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press.)
 
 

It is a simple children's presentation, but you can get the basics behind the celebration here.  A few years ago, in part because I was having difficulty coming up with a new idea for a Christmas series of messages, I preached a series on Hanukkah. The events commemorated are a story of bravery and dedication. Making a day's worth of oil last more than a week is the kind of thing that our great God does. To make this very personal, right now I find myself in a ministry where I'm looking to God to stretch, multiply, or in some other way step-in to make meager resources go well beyond what one would normally expect. Those of us involved in this venture are called on to deliver heroically.
I think as the Lord looked at those lights in the Temple, His appreciation was for more than the aesthetics of the display. I think He took pleasure in knowing that on the very spot where He walked a group of warriors decided that they would not stand for the place dedicated to the worship of the one true God being desecrated. Some of those men gave their lives, so the temple could be cleansed.
There was no doubt in the Lord's mind where He was headed. He would soon give His life.

Christ "gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds"
(Titus 2:14, emphasis added)

"[D]o you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body"
(1 Corinthians 6:19-20, emphasis added). 

 
I won't be celebrating Hanukkah, but I will be remembering the courage and dedication of those who fought that the worship of God might be pure. I'll remember my God's ability to do the impossible. I want my life to show that I am dedicated to my Lord, and I want my life to shine as a light in this dark world.

It's STTA (Something To Think About)

No comments:

Post a Comment