Saturday, December 23, 2017

He came to make all thingsright: Why Christmas, #6


Why did Jesus come?

#6

Sometimes I feel like I'm hanging out under the altar.

"I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain from judging
. . .?” (Revelation 6:9-10)

These martyrs are not alone. Throughout history, down to this present hour, God's people ask, 

 "How long, O LORD, will I call for help, and You will not hear?
 I cry out to You, “Violence!” Yet You do not save.
 Why do You make me see iniquity,
 And cause me to look on wickedness? Yes, destruction and violence are before me;
 Strife exists and contention arises. (Habakkuk 1:2-3)

In my life, I've known people who have a keen eye for, and an uncanny feel for equilibrium. If something is just the slightest bit uneven they can detect it. They don't feel right unless their world is plumb and level. I think all of us have a detector like that in our soul. We know when things aren't right, and it makes us ill at ease.

Christ came to make all things right. The process hasn't been completed. That last great enemy, death, still struts around this fallen world. But Christ in His death and Resurrection defeated even that enemy.

We sing "Joy to the World" at Christmas, and rightly so, but that song is not really about Christ's coming as a babe, but about that time, yet future, when he will come as a king. Make no mistake, though, the victorious coming again has been secured by victory won in humility, that passed through a manger in Bethlehem. Another Christmas carol puts it this way, "Born that man no more may die."

Why did Christ come?
He came to make all things right.


It's STTA (Something To Think About)
 
 

Click the image to see the story of redemption
The link will take you to chapter 1.
You can go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment