Tuesday, March 13, 2018

"Apples of gold in pictures of silver"


Timely advice

is lovely,

like golden apples

in a silver basket.

 

I'm not sure exactly what a picture of Proverbs 25:11 looks like. Maybe that's the point. I checked some resources, one said, "gold apples set against a silver sculpture or carving, or like a gold earring or other ornament.* Another, "either real apples of golden color, in a silver network basket, or imitations on silver embroidery."**
I don't know Hebrew and so I can't decipher the precise meaning. A look at various translations shows a variety of ideas. Could it be that all of that precision is beside the point? That what we are being confronted with is something of exquisite beauty, something in which the color, the preciousness of the materials, the balance, symmetry and aesthetic appeal are breath-taking? Something that to look at is to feel a pleasure so intense that it approaches pain?
Have you heard such a word, a word fitly spoken, advice that is timely, a thought distilled into communication that absolutely hit the spot, and caused you to give an, "Ahh" of satisfaction?
Such words are rare. They are to be treasured.
That well thought out, carefully considered, properly framed, "I love you," especially if the precious metal of the words has been refined by patience.
An, "I'm here," without needless explanation, in particular when the actions in which the words are contained leave no doubt that this is from someone who is there for the long-haul.
The words can be wrapped in temporary pain. Their short translation is, "I love you too much to let you do this. You may hate me for saying this, but I love you so much that I'm willing to take that risk."***
In my imagination, I see Solomon in his royal palace, some extravagantly beautiful work of art before him, contemplating a well-chosen word. He thought, meditated, gazed at the thing of beauty, and said, "Yes, that is what it is like." Three thousand years later having heard such a word, I say, "Amen."
The well-chosen word that fed, and continues to feed my soul, is a carefully chosen, brief exposition of scripture. It fit the occasion. It was delivered to meet the need of the hearer, not display the ability of the speaker, and it penetrated into my heart to meet the need of the hour in my life.

 
Lord, as one who dares to speak words on Your behalf, may they be the right words. Guide me Holy Spirit, so that what I say will be valuable not only now, but for eternity. Amen

STTA

________________________

*Walvoord, J. F., & Zuck, R. B., Dallas Theological Seminary. (1985). The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures (Vol. 1, p. 960). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.

**Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (1997). Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Vol. 1, p. 400). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

***Proverbs 27:6

No comments:

Post a Comment