Thursday, October 21, 2010

Making a Difference--We Were Made For It:

Sometimes when I look at the products in stores, the stuff I bring home, and the closed factories around the country, I wonder if we make anything anymore. But that is politics and economics--or some kind of "ics," so I'll leave that to someone more qualified.

I do notice in Genesis 1:28 that God created people to subdue the rest of creation. Even before the entrance of sin man had a job to do. He was to take care of and work the garden (Genesis 2:15). I figure that patch of ground must have been something to behold. Without wrongly exploiting the earth, Adam and Eve brought the dirt and vegetation under their control to make it a work of living art. I think I sense a bit of their pleasure when I work a piece of wood and make it into something useful and/or beautiful.

Nearly at the other end of the Bible, though, 1 John 2:15-16 says that we shouldn't love the world. God made us to be over the world, to follow the creative lead of our creator, to leave our imprint on this world in a positive way. Too often, though, we live under the world's dominion--controlled by our longing for its products.

Are you making a difference in the world, or are you letting it control you?

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment