Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A fascinating concept, in recent years associated with actor Kevin Bacon, is often called the
"Six degrees of separation." The term refers to the idea that everyone is on average six steps away from any other person on earth. "Bob, my friend, has a neighbor, who works with Pete, whose brother-in-law used to deliver President Obama's mail." I made that one up; actually, I can make the connection with the President in fewer jumps. Believe it or not we aren't merely talking a parlor game here. Serious research has been done on this human web.
With words that leave a knot in your gut John Donne proclaimed almost 400 years ago,

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main. . . .
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

(Click here to read the entire piece)
I read about a murder just the other day. Adjectives likes senseless, cruel, and tragic rang in my mind. The young man used to sit under the teaching of my brother-in-law. My son was involved in a big youth event with his older brother. I hear the bell toll with sadness.
Let's not leave it there, though. Whether it involves a computer or a fence we lean across, every one of us is involved every day in a web of communication. What are we communicating? The Great Commission, the mandate that Jesus Christ gave to his followers to share the Good News and make disciples, is not a set of instructions for the professional few, rather it is a command for all of Christ's followers, wherever they go, to share the message of hope for eternity that comes through Christ's death burial and resurrection.
It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment