Wednesday, November 24, 2010

In spite of what some of the youngsters in my church think, I wasn't around to vote for Abraham Lincoln, and I certainly wasn't a guest at Plymouth's Thanksgiving feast.
Our nation has a long history of being thankful. I wonder if many Twenty-first Century Americans would find much for which to be thankful in the fall of 1621 at Plymouth Colony. The living arrangements of the colonists would be considered cruel and unusual if a batch of today's convicts were put in a similar situation. In 1863 when President Lincoln declared a national day of thanks our nation was in the midst of the Civil War. There was a strength about the thanksgiving of these forebears of ours that I fear is missing from our current version.
I fear that our "Thank You, Lord." is like the "Thanks." that is tacked on the end of most business transactions--a formality, a way of being polite, lacking in real sincerity. True thanks is based on sound Theology. God is in charge. He doesn't owe us. Our lives ought to be lived in submission to Him. I would encourage you to read Job 1&2 and Psalm 73 for examples of this robust offering of thanks.

Not only tomorrow, but especially on this day set aside for the offering of gratitude, let the knowledge of Who God is and who we are inform our Thanksgiving.
"Praise God from Whom all blessings flow."

It's STTA

No comments:

Post a Comment