Tuesday, December 21, 2010

As I type my wife is doing something very Christmasy--standing in line at the post office.
I wonder if Mary or Joseph sent a note back to Nazareth after the birth of Jesus. We know people sent mail in First Century Israel. Many letters from the era have been discovered. What would a note to the family say?
"The baby is here. All are well. Much to tell you."
Or perhaps:
"No time to write much. We have to leave for Egypt. If soldiers come don't say anything. Will write more when we can."
We don't know. Part of the reality into which Jesus was born was that Mary and Joseph were real people. They had families and friends and history. Luke and Matthew give the genealogy of His earthly family. I'm a grandpa. Did Jesus have grandparents who were still alive. Did they hold Him on their knee, and talk baby-talk to Him. I figure so.
I do know that when Jesus grew up he talked about the games children play. He became like us, so that He could save us.


It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment