Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Arrogant?

This past weekend our focus at Covington Bible Church was reaching out to the world with the good news of Jesus Christ. What we call the great commission--Jesus Christ's mandate to His followers to carry the story of salvation to all the world--is not embraced by all Christians. Here is the command in Mark's brief, to-the-point style: "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." (Mark 16:15)

  • Isn't that chauvinistic?
  • How arrogant. You are telling others that they are wrong and you are right.
  • Look at all the bad things that have been done in the name of Christianity. Don't you think you should just back off?

I deny the "chauvinist" label. Key in the definition of that epithet is the concept of excess or unjustified surety or enthusiasm. If Heaven and Hell and eternity, and the value of human's lives is real then it is hard to see how one could be over-the-top in proclaiming the message at the heart of scripture.

When I proclaim the Good News I'm not arrogantly pushing my agenda at the expense of all others. Telling the Gospel story is built on me telling my story, which is based on my surrender--admitting my profound need. Sharing the story of Christ has been described as, "One beggar telling another beggar where to find bread.

The message of Jesus Christ changes societies, but its methodology is one-at-a-time. The Apostle Paul says we are ambassadors. Peace has been made between man and God. We have the privilege of proclaiming that reality. (2 Corinthians 5:18-21). How can we not give as many as possible the opportunity to make peace.

My efforts personally, and our efforts as a church are far from what they should be, but my response to the Lord's command, and the response that I am encouraging the Covington Bible Church to take, is, "Yes Sir."

Maybe you are one of those who is still on the wrong side of the millennia-long conflict between men and the their Creator. Find out about peace in Christ here.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment