Friday, April 15, 2011

Why Should I Go to Church?

I could simply do a bullet list. There are a great many reasons why one should go to church--assuming the church in question is one that teaches the truth and encourages Bible-based living. I may continue in coming days to explore the question, but today let's consider a basic inversion. Rebecca Barnes and Lindy Lowry, in an informative article say, "We've created a church consumer culture." What am I looking for? What can this church do for me and mine? That is a valid line of questioning, but if it is the only path of inquiry we pursue we are sure to end up with the wrong answer. Hebrews 10:24 is one of those "One-another" passages. ". . . consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds." Way too many of us (But apparently not as many as we think. Tune in tomorrow.) show up with a me rather than a us attitude. Or, we choose to stay home or do something else because we conclude or assume, "There is nothing there for me." Here is a question: What do I bring to church that will help others? Don't answer, "Nothing." too quickly. I realize I am weird--my experience as the guy who works at church is far different than those of you who actually choose on a given Sunday whether or not to come, but I think I share this with you normal folk. At the end of a Sunday's worship I am more or less likely to make a difference for the Lord, Monday - Saturday, based on the involvement of others--or lack thereof. This past Sunday a little girl shared a smile with me that could melt a glacier. It put gas in my tank. A young woman lit my fuse with her passion to do something significant. A husband/father/manager/home-owner/etc. challenged me with his dedication to do something more--not be trapped in the mundane. One of the officers in our church impacted me with his faithfulness to his responsibility--responsibility with a great attitude. I figure that these people and a great many others who actually showed up had the same kind of impact on a number of others. I received a great deal by showing up at Covington Bible the day before yesterday, but if that was all that concerned me, I blew it. What did I bring? It's kind of like one of those diet-ruining church suppers where everyone brings something. Sure it is a great meal because Mrs. X brings that cooking-show-worthy casserole, and Mr. T brings some of those blue-ribbon tomatoes,.but the single dad who brings a bucket of chicken, or the bag of chips from the college kid also makes the meal. (I notice that generally the fast-food chicken and potato chips are gone at the end of the meal.) What do I have that I can bring? It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment