Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It's The Economy, Stupid!

As I type and you read, I hope, our representatives in Washington DC are discussing and dealing with the fact--I have to take their word on this--that in a few weeks the money our nation owes will pass the limit of the amount we can legally borrow. I'm told, that when that occurs somebody won't get paid. As a guy who tries hard to pay his bills, I find that problematic, to say the least.

It is inevitable that discussions of our Federal budget bring up memories of $500 claw-hammers, and $600 toilet-seats, as well as studies on methane emissions from dairy cattle. (http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/government-waste-20-of-the-craziest-things-that-the-u-s-government-is-spending-money-on) There is no doubt, it's a mess.

The real problem is not in DC, though. The heart of the problem is found in places like Covington VA, or (fill-in the name of your home town). We have come to expect government, especially the Federal government to pay for about everything. In my area everything from baby-sitting to medical care, education to law enforcement, dirt-preservation to air-watching, highway maintenance, to low emission enforcement are paid for by money that comes from the great fount in Washington. It is not uncommon to hear comments at local governmental meetings like, "It is all covered by a grant. It won't cost us a thing."

Really?

I'm not railing against school teachers or road builders who gain their livelihood from these programs. Full disclosure: My wife's job is funded by a grant. What I am encouraging is an evaluation of our expectations. We tend to vote based on what a candidate promises to give us, or based on the bacon she/he has brought home in the past. That thought-paradigm needs to change.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. In a few days a group of dedicated volunteers will pull off an incredible series of events for young people called TEENWEEK. They will use some public facilities, but the program would go on even without them. The bottom line is TEENWEEK is funded not from Washington but from the offerings of local people who love teenagers and are passionate about the need to make a difference in their lives. If you look at their budget you'll find that the whole program is being carried out for less than it would likely cost to purchase coffee for the planning meetings for a government run program for teens. (OK, that is an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.)

I hope my people in DC act like adults and actually address the looming crisis in our National budget. When it comes to looking for real solutions, though, I have more hope in what my friends are doing at TEENWEEK.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment