Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Oh, for leaders like this!

I have been working through the list of qualifications that Paul gives for leaders in the church in 1 Timothy and Titus. A concept that stands out big time in this list is self-control. As I interact with the text I keep thinking, "Oh for leaders like that today!"
Men who:
Are sexually pure and known for faithfulness to their wives and who place family responsibility at the top of their list.
Have the good sense and discipline to put, and keep, first things first.
Possess a calming-spirit.
Can make a point honestly and forcefully, without flying off the handle, because they have the ability to teach the truth.
Are truly worthy of respect.
In the recent past, in circles in which I move, I have come across men who have allowed lust to lead them away from marital fidelity, observed leaders who allowed pettiness to escalate to unfortunate separation, and seen failure to take decisive action lead influential ministries to the brink of disaster. I wish I could paint all these situations with a brush of self-discipline, but it's not applied from the outside.

These characteristics are not merely the pedigree of the upper-echelon. They are traits to which all of us should aspire and for which we all should strive. They are qualities of life that lead to a better world for all concerned. (See here.)

I invite you to find out more Sunday.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment