Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Forgiveness, it patches the holes in the fabric of life:


Kathy and I are on our way to a wonderful family occasion.  Our oldest grandchild is graduating from high school.  His is a story that merits it's own, much longer, article, but suffice to say it is a story filled with grace.  For my wife and me, his graduation is not only significant because of the recognition of accomplishment, but because it is one more indication of God's continued goodness in our lives.  We are very thankful.
On the way to the airport we listened to a Focus on the Family program about divorce.  I was struck with the irony.  We were going to celebrate family, and along the way listening to information about the dissolution of family.  Bible scholar, John MacArthur, spoke about God's teaching on the subject.  Prominent in the Bible's word on divorce is, "Don't!"  And high on the list of how to stay together rather than break apart, is to forgive.
I have forgotten most of them, but the opportunity to gather around one of our's and celebrate his accomplishment, the well-wishes of extended family that I carry with me from others who can't make the trip, are in many ways a result of many instances of pardon granted.  Had there not been forgiveness, and its blessed companion forbearance (see Ephesians 4:2&32),  I would have been abandoned--if not killed--by my wife years ago, my sons would have written me off as a crusty, old buzzard, and my grand-kids would have found me hopelessly out of touch.  In short the rich network of relationships that make this celebration possible would have been torn to shreds years ago, in fact some of the people involved wouldn't even exist, had it not been for people I love being willing to do the hard work of forgiving, so love could continue.

Forgiveness, you can't build relationships without it.

Saying, "I choose to not make this offense the basis of my relationship--or lack thereof." goes beyond the family.  Unfortunately in our world where most things are disposable and consumable we too easily discard relationships.  I have been discarded.  It's not because I don't deserve to be.  The fact is I don't merit love, kindness, or the benefit of fellowship.  Every time I have been dumped I deserved it.  If relationships, however are only to be maintained with the constantly deserving, they will be few--perhaps nonexistent.  As I look at the rich fabric of friends and family that I enjoy, I don't see a single thread that is not colored with the beautiful dye of forgiveness.  Those who refuse to forgive will find the holes in their fabric will let this world's cold wind chill their bones.

 It's STTA

No comments:

Post a Comment