Monday, May 7, 2012

The World's Most Difficult Job:


Our culture is fascinated with jobs that are out of the ordinary.  Dirty Jobs, Ice Road Truckers, and Deadliest Catch  are just three of the TV shows in this genre.  It seems that the goal of these programs is to feature ways of making a living that combine, "I can't believe they do that," with "I'm glad I don't have to do that," with "That's cool." 

In my humble opinion, though, those who shovel fish-guts in typhoons, or catch sharks with their bare-hands, or have to get to Fairbanks in six hours in spite of the worst whiteout in history, are engaged in mere child's play compared to my nomination for the worlds most dangerous, messiest, and, too frequently, least rewarding job--Being a mom.
You notice I said "mom" not "mother."  Lot's of women are mother's.  The qualification (singular) for being a mother is to have given birth to, or adopted a child.  Being a mom involves so much more that the job description defies description.  An exposition of 1 Corinthians 13 is a good start.  It's not easy being a Mom.

Sunday we honor moms at CBC.  We'll be listening to
Mom & me
My Mom, Irene Merrell
what "Momma says," and asking ourselves the question, "How can we help these ladies do their critical task?"  

If you are able it would be great for you to join us, but whether you do or not, do something to honor your Mom and uphold Motherhood--no, make that MOM-hood.

It's STTA

1 comment:

  1. Great article!
    Please don't forget the stepMOMs who are raising their stepchildren. :)

    ReplyDelete