Tuesday, May 29, 2012

In My Own Way:

You have likely heard of an exercise in frustration. I'm getting toward the end of such a project. I'm doing most of the installation of a central air conditioning unit in my house. Mostly the project has gone pretty well, but the last phase of the project intersected with another DIY task that has been on hold for some time.


My house is a small Cape Cod with an exceptionally steep roof. Because of the pitch of the roof--something on the order of a 14 - 12, for you builder types--there is enough room for me to stand up in the middle of the attic space above the upstairs bedrooms. Since the house is small, years ago we put in a set of
folding attic stairs so we could make use of the space up there for storing Christmas decorations and such. To make the space more usable, I used some scrap plywood to make a "floor" in some of the area. It has been my plan for some time to add some insulation up there. I'd even salvaged some from other other projects and demolitions. Since I was cutting holes, etc. to run the duct-work it just makes sense to do this insulation project while I'm at it.

Remember the "floor." In order to add insulation to the areas where I had covered the old insulation I have to pull up that plywood, and in order to do that I have to move the stuff that is stored there, and in order to do that I have to have a place to pile it somewhere in the mean time--not to mention that I need a place to pile the plywood until I can nail it back in its new three-and-a-half inch higher position--both need a place that isn't in the way or already full, and while doing all of that I have to avoid hitting my head on the rafters and get my stiff knees to bend so I can get in the tight places. Far more than the wreaths, and boxes of ceramics, I am in my own way.

I find this to often be the case, not so much in construction projects, but with life. Romans 13:14 says, "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts." Too often I claim that I am trying to do something new in regard to my spiritual life--to be more like Christ--but I want to save room for all this old stuff.

I'm in my own way.

It's STTA



http://covingtonbiblechurch.com/lifesmostimportant.html

No comments:

Post a Comment