Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Nothing on 12/12/12, but I do have some thoughts on the last day on the Calendar:

Something To Think About

I tried to come up with something clever to go with the 12/12/12 date.  I couldn't come up with anything.  I guess I'll just have to wait for 13/13/13 to come around.
There is another date on the calendar, however, that has gotten a lot of press.  12/21/12 is the last day on a famous Mayan calendar.  Some have concluded that this must mean that these Native American astronomer/prophets figured the world would end on that day.  Actually, it may simply be that they had to stop making marks in stone at some point.  I figure the carvers thought 1,000 years were enough.  Supervision kept them going until 5,000 years, when everyone said, "ENOUGH!"  
For some reason the Mayans have enjoyed a place ofhonor with a rather kooky fringe of late Twentieth and early Twenty-first Century Western Culture--they are the darlings of the New-Age.  You remember they are the folk who brought us the Moronic,excuse me, Harmonic Convergence.
The end of the world rumor has morphed into a three-day blackout--inflation I guess--in regions of China.  " The . . . rumor said a new era will begin on Christmas day following three days of total darkness."  (more here)  It has been a great run for those who sell candles.
Personally, I have never met a Mayan that wasn't incredibly smart and wise, but if they were indeed predicting that the world will end on the 21st, I  think they had been drinking too much blache.  It isn't clear, though, that they predicted the end of the world.  It looks like to me that folk prone to intoxication by more modern substances have drawn those conclusions.  This fascination with the Mayan calendar is a part of a syndrome that we often see:  Anything but the Bible.   "We don't want to listen to the Bible because of the moral/ethical implications it contains, so we'll pay attention to anybody/anything else to satisfy the longing in our hearts.  "When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing -- they believe in anything." -- GK Chesterton
Don't ask. I have no idea!
 
I'm going to go out on a limb here.  I do so for two reasons:  
1, The simple matter of odds, and 
2, I figure God doesn't want to share any of His glory with an ancient corrupt culture. 
 
The world is not ending 12/21/12.   
 
At the bottom of this email (not to mention the bottom of this matter), however, you can find how to prepare, because whether it is through death, or the return of Christ, it is sure that this world will end for each of us.
 
It's STTA.
 
Find lot's of information about how God stepped into our world to meet needs we cannot meet on our own, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment