Tuesday, December 11, 2012


Ho Ho Ho
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
 
As soon as I saw it, I was disappointed.  Not that what I saw was disappointing, just the opposite.  When I saw the jar of apple-butter on the counter--a gift from some  friends--I was disappointed because I had already eatenmy muffins without any.
Missed opportunity!
Missed opportunity can be instructive, if we will allow it to be.  Some of us won't.  Some folk live their lives in the complacent illusion that what they do is always the best.  They support the fantasy with statements like, "I didn't want any." or, "I was going by a different plan."  Let's face it, sometimes the truth is, "I missed an excellent opportunity, here, and, now, I'm really disappointed."  I'm not sure whether disappointment is an emotion or a conclusion.  Maybe it is an emotional response to something we conclude--"This didn't work out as I wanted it to, now I feel bad."  At thatpoint, if I ask myself an important question, that bad feeling can be very helpful.  "What should I do different, next time?"  Some people never ask and answer the question.  They just go on producing disappointment, after disappointment--eating their oat-bran muffin with no apple butter--and becoming more and more discouraged, or, maybe even worse, complacent with how life treats them.
Instead of looking back with "Would'a, could'a, should'a," let's look ahead with a new plan:
  • What kept me from taking this opportunity that I just missed?
  • What can I do to seize it next time it comes along?
  • What benefit will I gain if I take hold of the opportunity when it come around again?
The Bible says we should make the best use of our time--seize the opportunities.  (here)  When I fail to take advantage of one of the opportunities that God provides, I ought to be disappointed.  My prayer is that that bad feeling will cause me to be a better steward next time. 

 
It's STTA.
 
Find lot's of information about how God stepped into our world to meet needs we cannot meet on our own, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment