Tuesday, April 9, 2013

What Do I Want?


Money, fame, and position provide no protection against life's difficulties.
I know it is easy for those of us who have less to look with envy at those whose pictures are recognized everywhere, and whose every word seems to be greeted with "Oohs" and "Aahs."   The tragic death of Matthew Warren, son of well-known pastor Rick, and the long unpleasant death of former Prime Minister of England, Margaret Thatcher, kind of puts it in perspective.  As my Father-in-law used to say about famous people, "When they get up in the morning they put their pants on the same way I do--one leg at a time."

The Bible--in particular books like Ecclesiastes, or the Lord Jesus's penetrating questions, like,
"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul? "For what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Mark 8:36-37, NASB95) 

I'm not in any way saying that the Warrens, Thatchers, or other powerful, famous, or rich folk are less Godly than we little people.  What I am saying is, when we long for riches, power, and fame, we crave that which can't satisfy.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment