Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Be Prepared


SOMETHING
TO THINK ABOUT
A friend of mine just retired.  Since my friend is my age. It brings a lot of thoughts, but that's not where I'm going, now.
My friend is moving to a house that is more friendly to people of a "certain age"--no stairs, near stores, church, etc.  A visitor stopped into my friend's new place.  Looking at the hand rails in the bathroom, he said, "You're going to take those down, aren't you?"
My friend doesn't need them and likely won't for a long time, but the assisting devices are staying up.  It's a dose of reality.  Time marches on, and leaves its mark on us all.
I've found myself thinking recently about some of the things one buys--things that last a while--"This might be the last one I buy."  The truth is that's not only true about refrigerators, and air-conditioners, it might be true about anything I buy.  It could be that before my can of shaving cream is empty, the undertaker will be shaving me for my last showing.  
My friend is wise to prepare.

Most of us hope to have years of gently growing old, enjoying friends and grandchildren.  We dare not forget, though, the "Then What?" question.  Again, it is wise to prepare.

Lord willing, Sunday at CBC we'll look death in the eye.
 It's the first in our What's Next?
series.

It's STTA

No comments:

Post a Comment