Friday, August 23, 2013

I don't care who's on first, we need to help these people.

I try to mostly stay away from politics in STTA. I'm going to make an exception today, so if you want to tune out, now would be good time. 

I suggest that we get rid of everyone even remotely involved in foreign policy. I don't claim to understand the intricacies of who the good guys are as opposed to the ones n black hats any more than I can tell you " who's on first." 

Abbott & Costello Who's On First
Abbott & Costello Who's On First

I do know that if our friends are doing the kinds of things that are going on in Egypt--the widespread persecution  of Coptic Christians--then we should apply some friendly persuasion, or get new cronies. If these thugs are our enemies then we should treat them as such. Other examples of foreign messes with US finger prints on them abound.
So, if I am proposing that we get rid of the lot, who do I propose should take their place? I have three candidates in mind. I figure they can rehire the former diplomats who have a modicum of good sense, and fill in the gaps with others like themselves.
My first two nominees are a couple of paper boys from my hometown. Bradley Moss and Cameron Frye, thirteen and eleven years old, occupy the lowest rung in the newspaper business.  while they "were making their rounds . . . they found a 96 year old woman lying on her front porch.  She had been injured and asked the boys to seek help."  (Virginian Review, August 17, 2013)  This they did without congressional hearings and before consulting the UN General Assembly.  
My other nominee is Antoinette Tuff
This video should suffice for a resume.  
It starts with a scene that has become way too common, a gunman had shown up at a school with enough ammunition to kill more than half of the student's at the school where Tuff works, as a bookkeeper.  Ms.Tuff, realized that somebody needed to do something. With grace, wit, and courage that lives up to her name, She talked this would be killer into surrender. She exhibits a trait far too rare among others in the news about recent crises in Ben Ghazi, Syria and Egypt. She was willing to step up and put her own life on the line to do what is right and protect the helpless.
I don't mean in the least to make light of what is happening in the Middle East. Just the opposite, what is happening there is so serious that a response to the crying humanitarian need, and anti-Christian genocide cannot remain hostage to geo-political theories. A response can't wait for diplomatic code-breakers to decipher the Abbbott-and-Costello-like intricacies of who is, and who should be in power. Rather with the good sense and prompt action modeled by two boys who were just doing their job, we need to say, "Let's get these people some help. And with the coolness and courage of a clerical worker with a backbone, let's step up and do what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment