Friday, August 30, 2013

BALANCE

I hope I'm not imbalanced when I say, "The longer I live and minister the more impressed I am with the virtue of balance.
Take a moment and stand on one foot.  I recommend doing it next to a strong chair or other object where you can catch yourself if need be.  Look straight ahead.  Stand there flamingo-style long enough for a bit of fatigue to set in.  At that point you'll begin to notice how complicated it is to maintain equilibrium.  There are rapid signals, and matching corrections.  Often the corrections will be right, then left, front then back.  Interspersed with those corrections will be the sweet spots--those rare, fleeting moments when you don't feel like you are about to fall.  In short:

Balance is hard.

You can relieve the tension by lying down, or theoretically by pouring concrete around your boots.  Metaphorically, that's where way too many people live.
If physically standing is such hard work, why would we think that maintaining one's standing before the Lord--One Who is infinitely complex--would be simple?  If we think of some of the big Theological arguments we are likely to identify points where balance is important.  Please understand, balance does not equal compromise.  Think back to that physical exercise we did a moment ago.  When my brain tells me that I'm falling to the right, I have to allow that information to have its full impact.  If I don't react properly to that sensation I will fall.  On the other hand, if I over-react I will pitch over to the left.  Balance.

God is sovereign.  --  The decisions we make,
                                                and actions we take really matter.
God gives His people Liberty  --  Yet we must conform to His commands.
God has given human leaders,                                                                
and expects them to lead  --  Leaders too often abuse that power.

My associate Doug Williams is fond of pointing out that there are generally ditches on both sides of the road.  Both need to be avoided.  

Blessed are the balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment