Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ready to Stop?

It might be a piece of a brake.  I found it along the curb in the street in front of the church.  If it is a brake part, I hope it fell off a junker being hauled to the recycling place.  In my time I've had some cars and trucks that were subject to having parts randomly come unattached and land in the road.  If this fell off a similar vehicle, somebody might be in for a surprise when they say, "Whoa."  
Being able to, and being ready to stop is important for more than cars and trucks.  In particular I'm thinking of my mouth.  Not only do I need a good set of brakes, but one of those sensor-gizmos, that automatically stop a car before it hits something or someone, would be handy. 
James warns that a tongue is deadly and can easily create a disaster.  David asked God to "set a guard over my mouth."  (Psalm 14:3)  And, Solomon said heeding the yellow signs can keep us out of trouble.   Especially when the "wicked" are present (Psalm 39:1)--and isn't that most of the time--a good set of brakes are important.

Lord, help me to not leave my brakes along the side of the road.  May my speech be gracious, well-seasoned, and appropriate.  (Colossians 4:6)  
AMEN.

BTW:  If you recognize that part as yours, give me a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment