Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Give Me Christmas!

A friend of mine tells about the Christmas celebration in a country where he used to live.  "Give me Christmas!"  people will say.  They are requesting a bag of cookies--usually Animal Crackers, with, maybe, a few pieces of candy thrown in.
Before we get our noses out of alignment, looking down them, let's think about the typical American Christmas.  I've been listening to an online Christmas radio station for the past thirty minutes.  If I were to determine what Christmas is based on what I've heard in the last half-an-hour, I'd likely come to about the same conclusion as my friend's former neighbors.  Of course, my bag would be bigger and its contents would cost more.  Christmas is stuff, and a magical mood, both of which our retailers are glad to sell us.
 
While I was listening to the "Christmas" station I was also working on a cd that we'll give to the visitors at our Live Nativity this weekend.  It features the words of Mary Magdalene, as imagined and portrayed by Erika Daly.  In one scene as she stands before the stable and the manger, she says, "This is Christmas."
Indeed.
God has already given us Christmas.  Have you received His greatest of all gifts?

Merry Christmas!

It's STTA.
  

 
 
This will be my first Christmas without my mom.  Mom made hundreds of  little angels, like the one on the left.  They are literally around the world.  I don't have any handwork for you, but on our website, covingtonbblechurch.com, you can find recordings of messages, including some recent messages on thanksgiving, and there is a lot of information about the One Who came to earth to be our Savior,covingtonbiblechurch.com.  Click on "Life's most important question."

No comments:

Post a Comment