Friday, December 6, 2013

In The Fullness of Time:

SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT



Galatians 4:4 says when the time was full Christ came.  He didn't come before, because it was not yet, "the fullness of time."  To delay was impossible because the time was right for God the Son to take on human flesh.  God does not rush, and He is never late.  He acts when the time is right.  
Out of all the things that we do at Covington Bible Church, the one event that comes nearest to involving everyone in our congregation--the nail drivers, recruiters, goat wranglers, cookie bakers, costume sewers, advertisers, organizers, cd labelers, scene setter-uppers, "go-fers," wire and light stringers, greeters, teachers, actors, hosts, and (breathe deep) many more--is the Live Nativity.  Most of the work to make the Live Nativity happen has already taken place.  Now we are waiting on the weather.  We are scheduled to have three nights of visitors at our event.  I can't remember the last time I have seen a "100% chance of rain" prediction.  That's the forecast I just saw fortomorrow night.  
When does God send rain, and when does He bless little churches with totally gorgeous weather like we had for last year's Live Nativity?  I think those things happen at the same time as Christ came, in the fullness of time.  
I'm not nearly arrogant or foolish enough to try to explain why God does things, when He does.  Reading the end of Romans 11 will kind of humble you that way  I do know that several conversations that I have had, including a couple with myself, have already revealed that working on the Live Nativity has been a great blessing.  We have been motivated to pray.  We have been able to offer a love-gift to our Lord.  I continue to pray that God will grant us the opportunity to share the message of the incarnation with our community.  There is absolutely a 100% chance that God will remain in control over the next seventy-two hours.  I confess, some of the conversations I have had with myself have been about trying to treat God like a Divine pop-machine--deposit my change in prayer, and demand the result I want.  The problem is, this Live Nativity is all about the coming of the One Who said "Pray like this: . . . Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."  He followed that example when He prayed, ". . . nevertheless not my will, but thine be done."  
Lord, I'll be honest with you.  I don't want it to rain.  I want us to be able to take guests through our Live Nativity event.  But, Lord, thank You for helping me to be honest with me.  You do things in the fullness of time.  I'm 100% sure that whatever the time is full for You to do will be best.  So even more than I want good weather, I want a good heart--a heart good enough to yield to You.
Amen
With a wish for the best of Christmases,
it's Something To Think About
from the Covington Bible Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment